• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UAE or Oman spearfishing clubs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello,

I have recently gotten into spearfishing and havent gone out in UAE yet. I was wondering if there are any clubs or guides that are willing to get me started in the waters around UAE or Oman. Any info would be great. Thank you

hi Saif
mate,to avoid getting loads of spammers may you should change your username :D I have some local contacts for you, send me a PM.

Ok, I am also in Dubai!!!!

Still working on the basics but really interested in spearfishing and would love to meet with you guys.

Gerhard

Hey Gerhard,
nice to see you here also ;)
you are at the right place... but you need to do alot of reading ;)
anyway since you are on my facebook spearfishing uae group, you will get notified for the coming spearfishing trip.

Last edited:
Dear All...

Be very careful when it comes to spear fishing in Dubai.... you could face a fine anywhere between 15,000 - 60,000 AED + 3 months in Jail.

This applies to the entire coast line.

You may spearfish in open water at least 2 miles away from the nearest shoreline/wave breaker, we all know there is hardly anything out there, unless you can dive deep 20m+

If you can get down to 20M+, then you would find a number of wrecks you can dive on. Unfortunately, you would need a boat and accurate GPS/coordinates to get to them, and when you do, you will find that the current is real bad, and vis is crap 1-2 m max.

Now since there are no spear fishing licences, make sure you have at least a general fishing licence, just in case you do get stopped and asked.

PS. My brother got caught about 3 weeks back, my boat is still confiscated, and after three weeks of going back and forth (Every Day) to the Munisipality in Diera, he managed to get the fine reduced to 5,000 AED (this was this morning), i am still waiting to get my boat back!.

Good luck to all the spearos out there!

Reactions: island_sands
Hi Every one....
It’s been a while since I posted anything on here...
Been following the threads though.

Just a word of Caution….
The coast guard have been cracking down on divers and spearos… apparently its illegal to spear fish on any of the break waters in Dubai, The official rule is that you can spear fish provided you are at least 2 miles off shore and away from all man made structures, that includes break waters, Palm Island, World Island, Oil Rigs, … ect

We have learned this first hand, should you get caught, you would probably be warned the first time, second time you get pulled out of the water and taken to either the coast guard HQ or the Police station, where they make you sign a letter of undertaking that you wont repeat the offence, they may or may not confiscate your equipment… all depends on your luck…. And by all means do stay away from Abu Dhabi based break waters, they are much more strict the first time round!

That leaves you with only one option, WRECKS, provided you can get down to a min of 18m +, and you have access to a boat.

Happy fishing to all…

N

and this is what i posted i while back.... definitely cracking down, real hard now!

Hey Nesim,
I heard your story from Zane. I thought you were fishing inside port rashid, which is strictly off limits (we got caught there a few years back and were let off with a warning). Are you sure this ban applies along all the coast???! If so we're screwed! This place is getting ridiculous - last year my boat was confiscated because we strayed "too close" to the world island.... f*cking nazis!

redline

Also along all the coastal breakwaters?? What about all the people fishing from them? What exactly is the issue?! Did they mention exactly what laws you had broken?

redline

man that is REAL bad news, you think they will have any leaniancy on minors :)! i dont see why everyone has sucha big problem wit spearfishing?!?! how can places still sell guns etc. with no problems if it is so illegal? this country is really annoying sometimes! Nesim i havent spoken to you in ages man! how are things? hows work going?
hoope to hear from you soon,
jonny
PM me

Reactions: Pastor
Morning People,

Well that %^$#'s up my plans for the new year!! Well fortunately for us we have managed to get a hold of a 4m zodiac! So at least we have the ability to get 2 miles off shore. I have a few cordinates for a few places but that is about it. I suggest we just forget dubai and hit fujairah. The vis is better and the fishing is too!

Jonny...where are you?? That's the question!! Get in touch, planning to head down to the east coast this weekend!

N - thanks for the update!!

Usman, Fujairah is a no-go area as well. I think that Umm AlQuwain or right the Musandam might be your best bet without getting caught.

Are you sure?? I've had a bunch of mates that go conventional fishing and spearfishing off dibba and in and around ziggy beach and that area? They went last week and the week before on a boat and it seemed ok?

If this is the case is there going to be any legislation on this or is it as per the 'usual' Dubai practice!

Will they ban fisherman from fishing off the break waters and jail tourists that fish on charter boats off the palm and various spots all over the coast?

Whats happening to this place???

Thanks and if you have specific locations in musandam can you let me know!

Once I had to leave from the Fujairah port, the guards stopped me and asked me whether I’m carrying spear guns or not!!! So it is illegal there also…

I go spearfishing off Dibba Oman.. We swim by the mountains for like 2km and then come back…it is also illegal there… yet I see a lot of spearos there… like on new year eve there were like 11 guys in the water with their guns.

If we need to talk to someone about legalization this game to whom we should talk?? Come on guys there are tournaments all over the world and here in UAE we can’t… what a shame… we should do something not just come here and complain.

Spear fishing is definitely a No No,,, Musandam included!!!

if you need more info, pay the municipality a visit, the one by the Radisson hotel, doubt you would get much feedback though, they don’t know the difference between free diving and scuba !

You can call my brother Nadim as well he's sill at the municipality as we speak still trying to pay his fine! Mobile 050 50432103

Nesim,

Did they say exactly which law you have broken? Which legislation covers the sport of spearfishing?

redline

Hey Sands,

Do you need some sort of trade/commercial licence for the courses? Do they recognise "freediving" as a sport practiced by the public at large? Are there area's which are restricted that you know of?

redline

Hey Redline,
you can optain the licence from dubai municipality, i think i will apply for it.. you can download it from their website... which i don't know....
I was with Nadeem like 30min ago and told me the story.. Dubai is a no place for spearfishing... and they don't know what's the diffrent between diving and freediving... guys we have to write letters... and do something... joine us on spearfishing uae on facebook

Hey Redline,
you can optain the licence from dubai municipality, i think i will apply for it.. you can download it from their website... which i don't know....
I was with Nadeem like 30min ago and told me the story.. Dubai is a no place for spearfishing... and they don't know what's the diffrent between diving and freediving... guys we have to write letters... and do something... joine us on spearfishing uae on facebook

You know what the ironic thing is, members of the EMIRATES DIVING ASSOCIATION - who govern all diving activities here in the UAE, have been seen spearfishing close to dive sites - USING SCUBA :head

Hey Redline,

http://www.ead.ae/Tacsoft/FileManager/Laws/english/law23_e.pdf

Here are the laws.

Edit:
Engaging in any fishing activity without a valid license is a criminal offence in the UAE and violators will be prosecuted. To obtain:

Annual Recreational Fishing License
The applicant should be 18 or above to be eligible.
7- day Recreational License
This license is issued at the time of application The applicant should be 18 or above to be eligible.

You can now apply online through our eServices portal. To provide an alternative to those with no access to the online portal, EAD has established a Customer Service Office. This Office is located on the Ground floor of its Headquarters in Al Khaldyah area, Abu Dhabi and is open to the public from Sunday – Thursday, 8 am – 2:30 pm.

And here are the requirements for a licence:

https://eservices.ead.ae/portal/pag...ntroduction/CommercialFishingPageIntroduction
Commercial Fishing License (Abu Dhabi)
Cost

Required Documents
Eligibility Processing Time

* 250 AED Lansh
* 200 AED Tarad

* Passport Copy
* Khulasa Copy
* Photograph

* 18 years or older
* UAE National of Abu Dhabi
* Registered commercial fishing boat

* 3 Working Days

This license is required for UAE Nationals of Abu Dhabi to fish commercially.
The Commercial Fishing License is a bi-annual renewable license which allows the bearer to fish for profit. Commercial fishing licenses are only available to UAE Nationals of Abu Dhabi who own registered commercial fishing boats.

The Agency is the competent authority for the implementation of Federal Law No. 23 on fisheries and is charged with managing fishing activities in Abu Dhabi waters. The licensing process allows the Agency to assess the impact of commercial fishing on fish habitats.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT