• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UAE or Oman spearfishing clubs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jewan: I am in the facebook group :)

Sands: You're a fountain of knowledge! Sounds like you're familiar with the buerocratic processes to get anything done around here. I'll never forget the saga of registering my boat ... :head

The million $ question is: Does the general fishing license cover spearfishing???

redline

Sooo... 18 years and above i guess that makes me... allowed? HAHA cause if i cant get a fishing license then i have the argument, i am unable to obtain a fishing license therefore i am allowed!!! what you think?

it will be people using scuba whilst spearfishing and spearfishing in restricted areas i.e. nature reserves :| you know who you are, that ruin it for us i recon... NOT GOOD

Jewan: I am in the facebook group :)

Sands: You're a fountain of knowledge! Sounds like you're familiar with the buerocratic processes to get anything done around here. I'll never forget the saga of registering my boat ... :head

The million $ question is: Does the general fishing license cover spearfishing???

redline

Ah!! that's the BIG question.... I suggest you get someone who speaks Arabic well with an Emirati accent to call the Ministry and get an answer. (Get it in writing).
http://www.moew.gov.ae/assets/docs/MoEW/decisions/Federal_Laws/law23_e.pdf
(i think i posted that link before)

Ministry of Environment & Water
Abu Dhabi
Telephone: 4495100 - 02 - 00971
Fax: 4495150 - 02 - 00971
P.O. Box: 213
Email: adarchieve@moew.gov.ae

Dubai

Telephone: 2958161 - 04 - 00971
Fax: 2957766 - 04 - 00971
P.O. Box: 1509
Email: archieves@moew.gov.ae

Not a fountain of knowledge, just the project I am working on right has a lot to do with urban planning laws and laws concerning working around mangroves so I will have to deal with these people sooner or later :D

According to them, any form of diving falls under SCUBA DIVING.... as i said before, they dont know the difference, and that’s the problem....

yeh but i does sorta depend on who u get and if they aprove of spearfishing

We (spearfishers) seem to live in a grey area not covered by the legislation. I've had a quick scan through the relevant laws that Sands posted above. Comments:

- Laws 23 and 24 seem to cover only Professional fishing, not sports or recreational.
- Article 23 of Law 23 states that it is "impermissible to practice Fishing using absolutely banned Fishing gear". But no where in the document does it define spear guns as being banned.
- Article 24 of Law 23 states "Practicing marine sports for fishing competitions and using marine resources related to sports gear".... No idea what this means!
- Article 20 of Law 24 defines the areas that can't be fished. This does seem to cover some of our prefered areas (within 2miles of coast, near islands etc...) but remember that the law should only be applicable to a fishing professionaly.
- Article 21 of Law 24 defines banned fishing equipment. No mention of spearguns.
- Article 45 of Law 24 states that importers of fishing equipment need approval from the ministery. Implying that if guns are legally sold ... it is legal to use them.
- Article 52 of Law 24 states "Use fishing guns while using diving equipments (compressed oxygen)" ... Explicitly stating that you can't shoot fish if you're using diving equipt. Its therefor implicit that spearing fish while freediving is OK.

Conclusions aren't very obvious. Although we seem to be in the clear, I'd like to have greater assurances before risking fines and confiscation of equipment (boat, guns etc...). Either that or we need to take a lawyer with us when spearfishing ;-)

I'd like to know from Nessim (or anyone in the know) exactly what law they allegedly infringed?

redline

Marco,

You make some excellent points here. I have a challenge for you. Why not present your points in the form of pulic petition to have the law clarified? You can do this through Emirates Diving Association or, through some contacts (PM me), we can ask the correct channel to use to get this clarified once and for all.

Perhaps in the petition you could also suggest that they publish guidelines or requirements for spearos, for example, registering your guns, or being a member of the UAE spearfishing club (here's your chance to create one), and also perhaps declaring minimums weights for certain species of fish to show that spearos actually DO care.

You could also point out how spearing does not affect unintended species (look how many dugongs and turtles get trapped in fisherman's nets here).... Possibilities are endless and you'll need the support of the spearo community.

Whaddaya say?

Marco,

You make some excellent points here. I have a challenge for you. Why not present your points in the form of pulic petition to have the law clarified? You can do this through Emirates Diving Association or, through some contacts (PM me), we can ask the correct channel to use to get this clarified once and for all.

Perhaps in the petition you could also suggest that they publish guidelines or requirements for spearos, for example, registering your guns, or being a member of the UAE spearfishing club (here's your chance to create one), and also perhaps declaring minimums weights for certain species of fish to show that spearos actually DO care.

You could also point out how spearing does not affect unintended species (look how many dugongs and turtles get trapped in fisherman's nets here).... Possibilities are endless and you'll need the support of the spearo community.

Whaddaya say?

i think you said it all Sara... lets make it happen before the season is over.

Sands,

I think its inevitable that we have to tackle the issue some time, so forming a "lobbying" group early on makes sense. It will be a battle, as with any other embryonic legislation here things are badly defined and no one entity wants to take responsibility. When we did this for kitesurfing, and formed a proper club under the DIMC, we eventually got recognition from the authorities, as well as some concessions regarding practicing our sport. Given the numbers of locals as well as expats who spear fish, I think we could make a good case...

redline

Sands,

You've inspired me. I'm going to have a proper look at the legislation this weekend with a lawyer friend. Then we can think about articulating our questions for the relevant authorities.

redline

Reactions: island_sands
Sands,

You've inspired me. I'm going to have a proper look at the legislation this weekend with a lawyer friend. Then we can think about articulating our questions for the relevant authorities.

redline

hey go for it, i know that Nadim is on it too, perhaps you'd like to contact him. PM me for his number :)

Hey Guyz I'm Mohamed From UAE/Dubai...Well We Have Some Spearfishing Guyz Here :)

Mishu...Where You Live? What's Writen In Your Location Is Kuwait,Qatar And UAE :D

I Do Spearfishing In Khasab,Masandam "Oman" And In Alrwais And Dalma "Abu Dhabi" Everyweek

I Wanna Know Who Go To These Places ?

Bin Tamim..
welcome to DB..lots of great spearos from your part of the world over here...i dont live in UAE unfortunately, but would love to one day..
my sons name is Tamim by the way :)
happy hunting...

Mashallah God Bless Your Son Tamim :)

Well Let Me Say I'm A Beginner 25 to 35 Max And I'm Learning And Improving.

And I'm Happy To Join This Forum :)

Thanks Marwan ;)

25 to 35 feet :D Not Meters Hahaha

I Wanna Ask You Marwan Do They Allowed Spearfishing In Sharm Alsheikh?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT