• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Freediving Software for O2/CO2 tables / Yoga Breathing training.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Stefan Seyer said:
By the way I saw on the last tab of Jozef's software that he ask for a donation to develop his software. Does it mean he stops now the developing ?

I will guarantee that my software will be free and also later updates will be for free :) .
If a volunteer programmer asks for donations, it does not mean yet the software he offers is not free. There is nothing wrong with asking or getting some money back in form of voluntary donations, for investing a lot of private time into such project. As far as I know his software remains free, and although I did not really follow the thread, I believe he even offered the source code for free too.

Being a professional coder, I know from own experience that people are too used to get any software for free, and do not imagine that someone had to work hard to get it done. Even simple applications often take much more time and effort than one imagines (the real development time is often many ten-fold times higher than those without experience expect).

For these reasons, voluntary donations for software do never really work. People rarely appreciate the work offered for free. I'd be surprised if Jozef collects more than 50 bucks (if at all) - that's for a job worth of several (up to many) full days of intensive work.

Hi !
I don't want to start a discussion about my comment about the donation and I delete this comment from my post.
I want to apologise to Jozef about my comment, but it seemed to me that he will only continue if he get a donation.

So I hope everything is OK now and we will have a super tool to train static !

Take a deep breath......
Stefan

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying, that I am not financially motivated to work on this project. Donations may help me to pay for the time I invested into this utility, but program remains free and no one ever has to pay for it in order to get it and use it.

As many of you know, I started to work on it in my free time and then when I bought a house I've got crazy busy with renovation process (changing all floors, replacing whole kitchen, taking out some walls to make it open concept...).
So, simply said: I was busy! Period.

When I finally thought I have some time to work on the program, I hurt my lower back really badly and I basically couldn't walk for over a week... (that was week or so back)

So I was dealing with little different problems than finishing programming of my utility.

I hope you understand. (Stefan?!?)

Anyhow, lets get back to why I am writing here:
I am little more back to normal now, and I am planning to work on Apnea Trainer this weekend, so I will probably get back to you guys with something new by the end of this week or early next week.

Joe

Last edited:
Trux: I appreciate you answering the donation post/dilema quite nicely. I wouldn't do better myself. It's exactly how I feel about it.
Joe

Last edited:
I am using a program that generates a mp3 sequence based on a 0² table, you create music tracks of a given length and then use it like a normal table such as those written by forum members here. Once the file generated in mp3, you can take it away on every mp3 player.

I am not in computers myself so i have been asking around for tips and helps.

At this moment i consider the program as finished from a technical point of view (which is enough for me) but it lacks a user friendly interface to be released.

I would like to "offer" this little program so that it can be improved by others with computers skills !

BUT my question is: From a legal point of view, can I do such thing with no risks of one day being sent to jail for responsibility in a apnea training accident ?
I saw that every programs has such disclaimers, is it only warnings or also discharge of reponsability ? Legal ?

That is an interesting question I would also like to get an answer to.

Yes come to think of it, what happens if someone dies using a program you developed. I think it might be wise to add some form of disclaimer to your programs, just incase some law suit happy person looks to make some money off someone who actually tried to help the said party improve their skills. :)

Referring to the question of responsibility, there is not one unambiguous answer. It is dependent on the national law of each country, the court system, etc. Even the judge (or jury in the USA) that takes the decision, the culture in a certain country (e.g. in the USA such claims would be far more likely than in Europe) have a significant influence on the answer.

Therefore, the least thing to do is to put a disclaimer in the software programs. Probably it is - although I don't like it from a convenience point of view - wise to have the disclaimer approved by the reader clicking a button when starting the software.

I honestly think there is not more you can do than this kind of 'active' disclaimer, apart from stopping to develop this software.

Hopefully, this discussion doesn't lead to a delay or even end of the development of this training software many freedive-enthousiasts are looking forward to. At least I do!

Rai

wow! this software is EXCELLENT!! I've literally just started my apnea training and this has helped me so much! I especially like the feature where the computer generates O2 and CO2 tables based on your max breath hold - I wouldnt have had a clue how to do it!

Can't wait for the full program! And rest assured, when my financial situation improves there'll be a donation winging it's way to you!! Thank you so much for this! :)

Servus Stefan,

being a PC dummy I didn't realize for which kind of PDAs your program is going to be. I own an iPaq and have been eagerly waiting for a static trainer program to run on these for the last few years. :p

Thanks,

Veronika

Hi,

the software runs on windows mobile 5 and pocket pc 2003 from microsoft ( it's not tested on pocket pc 2002, so I don't know if it's working on that system )

Best regards
Stefan

Hi,

Stefan, something goes wrong on my PC, it uses 100% of my CPU and the table B has bugs too. I use windows XP if it helps.

And what about Josef's software, does it exist an upgraded version with the table B ? If yes, is it possible to mail me the new version ?

Last edited:
Hey, I read You're doing the thing in .net, I'd be happy if the sw could run in a free software/GNU/Linux environment as well.
I think the mono-project made a free runtime environment that is binary-compatible with .net.
Could You try that, too?

Cheers for the work!

sanso

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for publishing the new version of StaticTrainer.

But I cannot install the PC version, are there some special requirements?

Thanks,
A.

I also could'nt install it! :(
something wrong in the .exe?
thanks for all your hard work!!

no luck running the software here, either.
when I try to run the downloaded .exe file, it gives the following error message:
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
I tried to run it under Windows Xp Sp2.

Same problem with PC version. :(

But great work anyway, i tested the pocketpc version with an emulator, he added some interesting functions, hope to see it soon for PC. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT