• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static PB's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's your static PB?

• 0:00-1:00

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 1:00-2:00

Votes: 32 5.2%
  • 2:00-3:00

Votes: 96 15.6%
  • 3:00-4:00

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • 4:00-5:00

Votes: 164 26.7%
  • 5:00-6:00

Votes: 121 19.7%
  • 6:00-7:00

Votes: 40 6.5%
  • 7:00+

Votes: 20 3.3%

• Total voters
hi

Just a thought I heard that your metabolism slows down with age, so statics should be easier when you get older, right

cheers

Bill, Bill

:naughty Not the day after mate!

It's just right after training or the event, otherwise the goodies will be gone.

Take care, gerard.

Ivan, you know where I am contact me anytime. I just hope I get a trip for free in your powerboat when I decide to pay you a visit.:eek:

Cheers mate, gerard.

hi

Thanks man, yeah dont worry its my old mans boat and he always pays for the fuel :D

cheers

Ben I wanna settle this down

I made a little mistake about Indurain's MHR. Here's is his biosporting profile:

Pulse 28 beats per minute. On average mountain climbs, he manages to keep his pulse below 150 bpm. He reaches his maximum of 195 bpm in Tour de France time trials.

His electrocardiogram
Indurain 28
An average fit person 65

Changes in heart rate
At rest: 28
Medium effort: 150
Maximum effort: ****195****

Blood flow at maximum effort
(in liters per minute)
Indurain: 50
Amateur racer in good condition: 25

LUNG CAPACITY

The size of Indurain's rib cage enables him to have a lung capacity of 7.8 liters. A young amateur racer in good condition has a capacity of up to 6 liters.

Indurain's capacity: 7.8
An average athlete's capacity: 5.8

OXYGEN CONSUMPTION

His VO2 max (minimum oxygen consumption) is 88.
In an ergometer test, Indurain is capable of producing 550 watts of power, twice that of an average amateur racer.

Maximum consumption of oxygen
(in milliliters per kilo per minute)

Indurain: 88
Amateur in good condition: 55

RECUPERATION

Thirty seconds after a race of medium difficulty, Indurain's heart rate drops from 150 bpm to 60 bpm.

DIET

Indurain (188 cm, 78 Kg) in competition is able to burn in an average stage of the Tour de France, he'll burn 6000 Kj (1200 Kj per hour). Therefore hid diet in comp is around that figure.

Regards, gerard.

Hill climbing at 150 bpm is phenomenal - I find that the most staggering statistic of all of them. If I even look at a hill these days I am up at AT - 175! And that's with a 190 MHR.

It would really interesting to some sport specific testing on freedivers, like this.

hi

That are some impresive resaults!
I would love to see him do some static and dynamic!!!

Zipy

hi

what a machine is all I can say. I bet if he tried a static first go would probably be over 7min.

cheers

Ben

I wish I was Bill Gates. Amongst other projects such as poverty eradication and proper natural environment management programs, I would be traveling all over the world in search og genetically gifted athletes and put them in specific programs. take a look at this example:

Back in Spain in 1996 I met this female sport scientist in Complutense University of Madrid, who after testing my V02 max and MHR she told me the case of a young runner who had a RHR of 17 bpm. Amazing eh! the problem is that that fellow never succeded due to job pressure and lack of a proper family support. She also told me that he also was into spearfishing. Today 2003 no one knows about him. It's really sad. He couldn't have been a really amazing endurance athlete.

And what about all the "unknown genetic marvels" out there who will never succeed?

But these parameters are not why some athletes succeed and others don't. There are so many factors. Indurain is an example of genetics, intelligence, dedication and top support (family, coaches, team, etc.)

Well less talk and more freediving. See ya at the pool.

Regards, gerard.

On Mark Barville's Freedivelist, I heard a story of a greek diver who lives at immense altitude, in the mountains. He probably has a huge hematocrit from living so long at altitude. Apparently he would come down to sea level a few times per year to go spearfishing.

Even without any practicing or training, on his first day in the water he would be spearfishing repetitively at 45-47m for 3'00+ with something like 1'00 intervals in between dives! With bifins of course.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Spearfishing at 47m for 3mins thats incredible. what is it about the mountains that allows this to happen can you get these benefits somehow from living on the coast.

cheers

hi

As i know air high up in mountains is thiner so your body produces more eritrocits that can carry O2. Your blood becomes denser. I don't think you can get that effect at sea level.

But it would be cool !

Zipy

hi

Those guys are lucky living in the mountains, but on the other hand having the ocean 100m from your house is pretty cool as well.

cheers

Following Erics postIt's like the flick "The Big Blue"

where that freediver trains in the "Andes". That would be the ideal training environment. If the H20 was salty that would be the perfect scenario. The cold conditions makes training harder due to the extra O2 needed for thermoregulation.

technique

Hi ! can someone direct me to the technique of diving (horizontal)
in pool. my static is for about 4 min. but, when moving I spent too much O2, and even 50m becomes a problem. help :)

Reactions: donmoore
hi

Mate Im having the same problems converting my static to constant depths.

cheers

Minotauro

I can help you my "little grasshopper":

1. First check your streamlining technique. Make sure you are swimming with the least drag possible.

This is an example of a streamlined position:

http://www.spma.net/waynestreatch.htm

Obviously underwater it is different if you are not using fins since you'll be adopting a variation of the breastroke.

2. Increase your V02 max. How?

Simply, train, train and train endurance as often (always bearing in mind your personal recovery levels) and as long as in time as possible. It takes years to get the endurance goodies delivered, but when you get them you'll notice amazing improvements in your apnea results.

3. Don't train dynamics too often. Again allow your body to recover. Listen to your body.

4. Practice relaxation or meditation techniques.

Good luck, gerard.

I'm a bit confused at advice in the above post.....
"3. Don't train dynamics too often."

Wouldn't that be the best way to get better at dynamics ??
The more diving you do the better you get at it, well that's my theory anyway. :duh

Cheers,
Wal

hi

Wal totally agree if you want to get good at something train at what you want to get good at. Ie you want to be a good deep diver then go deep diving all the time if possible :duh

cheers

Oops, sorry Gerard, I wasn't trying to have a go at you, I guess I was a little suprised at your comment.

I really do think that doing dynamics/depth diving is the best way to get better at it. I'm sure there is a point at which doing too much will become over-training. But if you look at people that spearfish, some do it several hours in a row. Doing long or close to maximum dynamics/depths would put more stress on your body compared to spearfishing though, so you wouldn't be able to do quite as much in comparison.

It's just reading some of these forums it looks like a lot of beginners place too much emphasis on fitness and think this will improve their apnea ability the most. I know when I have been at my peak "Diving fitness" I have certainly not been at my peak Aerobic or "normal" fitness. Not sure if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Wal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT