• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static with no warm-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Im pleased to hear about your progress O'boy. I believe there is no reason to push it for a new PB, it will probably come by itself on training..

Do you only train statics? I don't have access to the pool this week, so I guess this week will be a week of dry statics lying on my back:)

I see no reason not to adopt this method into the dynamic training:)

btw, im not doing 3 statics on a row anymore, I will start doing 1 instead.. I dont want to overtrain you know :p

I believe 5 training days a week would be necessary for improvement.

Kingohyes

Last edited:
Just wondering if everyone whos trying this no hyperventilation 1st hold statics are doing any pack stretching prior to thier holds and are you packing for your hold and how much . I find that doing my dynamic prep 30mins of stretches and pack stretching really relaxes me and seems to get my heart rate down .
Cheers Nathan Watts

Hi,

I've had a cold the last week so have not done much training.

Today I managed the pain of 57 contractions starting at 1'50'' and I gave up at 4'08''. That's the most I've done.

I noticed that the "pain" is worst between 7 and 25 contractions, then the pain fades and after 30 it's getting warm in the head, the bloodpressure rise.

Thats exactly how I feel it too.. My head feels like its going to blow.

After 30 contractions, I have about 1-2 contractions every second, I can't seem to slow them down..

My head seems relatively clear though... I try to "listen" very careful to the signals.

The CO2 makes it very hard because I get confused and can't lie still.

Watts-

I too do some pack stretching before my hold. I basically just copied tom sietas's method of doing a 100% pack around 3-5 minutes before my hold, and hold the max pack for about a minute. On my breath hold i pack about 50 percent, or however much feels comfortable.

I find when i do my MAX statics, i actually get a better time if i stand up and walk around my room during the last 15-20 seconds of it. I know it burns up a lot of valuable oxygen, but i simply get too uncomfortable sitting down near the end, and standing up will help me add 10-20 seconds. All of my pb's i have stood up and walked around

After 9 days of max training in a row, I had to take a brake. The reason for that was serious headache I experienced after doing max static on Friday. :blackeye
I believe the headache is caused by very high levels of CO2.

In my last training I managed to do 4'57" (@1'50", 31x, 3'07"). I was actually trying for a new PB. I felt depleted right from the start and I couldn't push it further. It was obvious I needed a brake.

Now I'm concentrating on static, though I am about to use this method in dynamic too.

I also do pack stretching 10 minutes prior to the static. Then just relax.

It's interesting that we all have almost similar experiences with this training. I too have strong temptation in the end of max static to move, yet I am able to fight it and relax. If sombody prooves that moving in the end has some benefits I will do it too. Now I think that it just gives you conciliation of the pain, though doesn't give you more time. (I may be wrong)
I don't want my hold to be easier, I want it to be longer.

I have taken a break for 2 days now.. I had some serious headache, and my times were going down. I believe I was a victim for overtraining :9

So does using this method mean that all of the breathing excercises we've been encouraged to do as freedivers is null and void? If there is no breath up then you can't use your deep breathing techniques.
I am subscribing to this method as well but was just wondering if any of the breathing excercises we've heard so much about are any longer useful (in the event this method is superior).
Great thread guys.
Later,
Stitch

I've never been a big believer in breathing exercises anyway, since most of them, at least the way done by most freedivers, is just a funny form of hyperventilation. "True breathing techniques" I'm not qualified to talk about.

I dont think we can really know.

No records that I know of is set without some kind of breathup, or am I wrong?

If I should compete today I know I can do , right now at least 1'30'' longer with warmup and a controlled breathing lowering the CO2 a bit.

But maybe at last we all find that no breathup/warm up is the best....No one knows until it's proven.

One thing is shure for me; I am going to train this way as a part of my training.

I'd like to add one pointer to this discussion: If Sietas is indeed doing a pack and hold lasting one minute before his max attempt as said by Quasimodo, this short hold qualifies as a warm-up. The reason for this is that an apnea of 1 minute in an elite freediver is enough to contract the spleen almost completely as reported by Bakovic et. al. (2003) in the Journal of Applied Physiology (95:1460-1466). According to this study, the spleen begins to contract immediately after the onset of apnea and reaches minimum size after about 90s of breath-hold. Thus, when Sietas does his max hold, his spleen is already contracted and the extra 8% of red blood cells are already coursing through his veins.

Just my two cents. :duh

I have been trying to do statics without warm-up and it works very well for me! At first it was exhausting and I didn't like it much, but now it is much easier! I haven't managed to do a max time in this way, but it is good training. I haven't been able to do any pool training for about two weeks, because everything was closed for Christmas and the New Year, so I have done a lot of dry statics with the new method. My PB (using my normal warm-up) is now 5:30!!

I can't wait to get down to the pool.

Lucia

O.K., how about this:
Yesterday, I was able to brake my 2 years old dry PB (5'44") using No Breath-up and No Warm-up. I did

6'06" (1'54", 45 contractions in 4'12")

This was done after 12 days of doing repetitive max holds using this method.
Compared to those 2 years of trying with all kinds of warm-up and breath-up, this new approach for me is like gift from heaven.

It would be interesting to try my old warm-up now, to compare the results, yet I see no use in it anymore.

Hope to see some similar results coming from you, guys. Wish you all strong minds to master the contractions. :ko

Wow, great thread.

I think Oligo and derelictp bring up a valid point.
Relaxing/ focussing, a breathe-up, pack stretches are all forms of warm-up. They are different than doing several statics as a warm-up but are still a warm-up. I even heard of people liking to "under breathe" by doing 30 minutes or more of pranayama as preparation for static.

One can train to be able to perform with several kinds of warm-up.

The less exerting/ tiring a warm-up the fresher the body is when doing a maximum. This favours a gentle warm-up (like the "no-warm-up" method) over a long and exerting series of statics as a warm-up. Several great theories have been posted here about the subject.

I heard of experiments where people control vasoconstriction just by thinking about it. I do not have references at hand but several studies have been done. The great news is that control over reflexes like these can be trained.

I think good freedivers can turn on reflexes like vasoconstriction, spleen contraction etcetera relatively fast by just thinking about it or focussing on it. Training this would make a short preparation or possibly even just relaxing possible as a warm-up, keeping the body fresh for a maximum breath hold.

Training reflexes the right way seems to be important. The exercises suggested by e.fattah sound like they might help to train the reflexes to be able to use a gentle warm-up without preparation breathholds.

Reactions: Kars
Thanks Peter. Now you know of at least one record, which was done without any kind of breath-up (even though, it's just my personal record). :)

I am curious where are my limits using this method. So far I was only adding 5 contractions to my previous PB (# of contractions). How many will I be able to add again? Sooner or later, I will find the answer. I will be happier then. It's sort of unpleasant feeling, not to know if I am even doing 100%. That's very important in this method.

Today I am going to try my best in wet static.

One advice to all who are trying. Take a lot of sleep, otherwise your head will explode.

Regards

Im so happy for you O'boy.. This is a step in verifying the hypothesis..

I have developed a little cold, and headache from the training, so i will start over again tomorrow, or thursday.. Also, I am eating loads of calories and taking loads of antioksidants and Iron..

6:06 is a very good time.. Good luck on your wet training:)

Kingohyes

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT